Check out my notable projects and contributions
My full-stack and software engineering projects
My open-source utilities, tutorials and other contributions
- Full-stack course platform with forum and enrolment features
- September to November 2019
- NodeJS, ExpressJS, PostgreSQL, Herokuapp
- Evan Tay, Lee Tze Ting, Jacqueline Cheong, Bryan Koh
A course management platform where student-teacher interactions can take place seamlessly online.
We worked on DigiCourse under the National University of Singapore's CS2102: Database Systems module. It is a database-centric project which features two major components, a course enrolment system, and a forum system.
DigiCourse is continuously deployed from Github to Herokuapp, with the aid of Heroku build-packs such as the psql-heroku-buildpack. I wrote this build pack to automate the execution of a PostgreSQL setup script file on deployment to Heroku.
- Full-stack Internet-of-Things occupancy visualisation app
- September to November 2019
- Raspberry-Pi, Python, COAP, NodeJS, ExpressJS, PostgreSQL, ReactJS, Docker
- Evan Tay, Joyce Yeo, Matthew Lee, Melodies Sim
Dynalite is an Internet-of-Things application which performs dynamic visualisation of room occupancy.
We worked on Dynalite under the National University of Singapore's CS3103: Computer Networks Practice module. It is an Internet-of-Things application which performs dynamic visualisation of room occupancy.
Dynalite was built using 3 Docker containers and 1 Raspberry Pi. The RPi reads light data and sends it via COAP to the first Docker container containing a backend NodeJS-ExpressJS web server.
The backend server authenticates and stores the measurements into a PostgreSQL database stored in the second Docker container.
The backend server also provides a HTTP REST API which is used by a frontend React web server in the third Docker container.
- Spaced-repetition flashcard desktop app
- March to April 2019
- Java, JUnit5, JavaFx, OpenCSV
- Evan Tay, Lee Tze Ting, Eugene Foo, Chang Lei, Jerald Tan
BrainTrain is a spaced-repetition flashcard application which makes memorizing easy and effective. With BrainTrain’s Spaced Repetition System (SRS) optimizing your flashcard revision intervals, you will be able to learn more in less time.
We worked on BrainTrain under the National University of Singapore's CS2103T: Software Engineering module. My primary responsibility was to design and develop the Card Management System. My secondary responsibility was to act as the project’s documentation lead. To find out more, view my project portfolio page.
Glory: Tales of Yi-Shun
In Glory, you play as Yi-Shun, the last remaining swordsman of the great city of Sandosa. The undead warlord Ma Ti and his minions are advancing on the city and only you can stop them.
We worked on this project under the National University of Singapore's CP2106: Independent Software Development Project (Orbital) module . This module was conducted during the summer break.
We were one of the top 11 out of 211 teams which received an award (Honorable Mention), and a Google Chromecast each from Google Singapore.
- Github action which creates a mongo Docker container
- March 2020
- GitHub Action, NodeJS, Docker
- Evan Tay
mongo-action is a Github Action which creates a mongo Docker container using the official Dockerhub image. The MongoDB instance's port will be exposed to other containers and also to the host running the Github Workflow.
I created this Github Action to learn more about Continuous Integration tooling, and to simplify automated testing for my own Node-ExpressJS-Mongoose project.
By using this Github Action, there is no longer a need to provision a test database on MongoDB Atlas or elsewhere. Furthermore, each test will run on a fresh, isolated copy of a MongoDB instance.
I submitted this to the Github Hackathon for Github Actions.
Google Developer Student Club NUS
- Tech team's website for workshop registration and materials
- January to March 2020
- Jekyll, Bootstrap, Github pages
- Evan Tay, Andre Wong, Melodies Sim
Developer Student Club, National University of Singapore is made up of people from diverse backgrounds, majors, years of study, genders and races. We come together to push our mission of #TechforGood.
The Technology team is responsible for the execution of DSC-NUS workshops and thematic tech events.
We created this website to act as a one-stop portal for NUS students to find out more about our workshops, register for them, and access past workshop materials.
- Heroku buildpack which executes a PostgreSQL script file
- September 2019
- Herokuapp, PostgreSQL
- Evan Tay
psql-heroku-buildpack is a buildpack which executes a PostgreSQL script file on deployment to Heroku.
I developed this buildpack while working on DigiCourse, a full-stack application built on PostgreSQL. I wrote this build pack to automate the execution of a PostgreSQL setup script file in the Git repo on deployment to Heroku from Github.
Aspiring full-stack software engineer
Hi, I am a year 3 Computer Science undergraduate specialiseed in Software Engineering and Networking who is passionate about solving meaningful problems as an aspiring Full-stack Software Engineer.
I am an IMDA scholar (bond-free) who has received numerous academic and leadership awards. I was awarded the Colours Award for my contributions to the NUS recreational sports scene as the President of the NUS Inline Skating Club.
I believe social growth is just as important as academic development. As a CS1010: Programming Methodology tutor, I conducted weekly 2-hour tutorial sessions for 14 students. As the current Deputy Head of Technology of NUS's Google Developer Student Club, I co-organised and emceed for the first-ever Hack For Good hackathon.
In my free time, I run, read and learn new things. The latest thing I picked up is the Udemy course: Node with React: Fullstack Web Development which I completed in Feb 2020.
National University of Singapore
Bachelor of Computing, Computer Science • 2017 to 2021
• NUS Students' Sports Club's Colours Award for Outstanding Contributions 2019
• NUS School of Computing's Orbital 2018 Honorable Mention Award (Top 11 of 211 teams)
• Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore Scholarship (Bond-free)
• Node with React: Fullstack Web Development (2020)
• HarvardX PH125.1x: Data Science: R Basics (2018)
• Deputy Head of Technology of NUS Google Developer Student Club: Lead a team of 8 tech associates in organising 2 Web Development and 4 Data Analytics workshops; co-organised and emceed for the first-ever Hack For Good hackathon in which 28 teams participated.
• President of NUS Skating Club: Organised two introductory skating courses in which I led 20 instructors in teaching over 50 participants for each run; organised Skate Challenge 2019 in which over 60 university, polytechnic, ITE and primary school students participated.
• Residential College 4 Systems Citizen: Completed the RC4 System Dynamics programme where I was exposed to agent-based, network and stock-and-flow modelling.
Stanford University, California
International Honors Program • Summer 2019
I was one of only 10 National University of Singapore students selected for this programme. As an International Honors Program (IHP) participant, I took CS 161: Design and Analysis of Algorithms and CME 106: Introduction to Probability and Statistics for Engineers.
The IHP is a collaboration between Stanford Summer Session and specific international teaching and research institutions. All IHP students are endorsed through a selective admissions process, initiated at their home institution.
Diploma in Information Technology, cGPA of 3.907 upon 4.0 • 2012 to 2015
• Featured in Graduates of 2015 video
• Overall 1st runner-up for Isobar Create32 Hackathon, Singapore
• Diploma with Merit and Accenture Technology Prize
• Director's Roll 2013/2014 & Director's Roll 2012/2013
• Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore Scholarship
• Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer (2014)
• Adobe Certified Associate in Visual Communication Using Adobe Photoshop CS6 (2013)
• Microsoft Student Partner: Organized and taught an app development workshop
• Classical Ensemble Sectional Leader of SP Guitarists Club
National University of Singapore
Teaching Assistant • January to December 2018
Teaching Assistant for CS1010: Programming Methodology
• Duration: August to December 2018
• Conducted weekly 2-hour tutorial sessions for 14 students
• Graded and provided feedback for weekly assignments
• Held online and offline consultion sessions
Teaching Assistant for CS2030: Programming Methodology II
• Duration: January to May 2018
• Prepared lab assignment materials such as skeleton code and test cases
• Monitored and answered questions on a class forum
Associate Consultant • July to September 2015
I worked as a System Administrator under the operations (DevOps) team.
• Setup and maintenance of Amazon Web Services instances (virtual servers) and group policies
• Configuration of error logging using the Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana (ELK) stack
DigiPen Institute of Technology, Seattle
Overseas Industrial Training Programme • May to July 2014
I was one of only three students in my batch selected for this programme. During the programme, I worked in a team of four to produce a 2D puzzle game using DigiPen's proprietary Zero engine.
HQ 2 PDF • October 2015 to August 2017
I served National Service at the Division Manpower Branch of Headquarters 2nd People's Defence Force Division (HQ 2 PDF).
• Outstanding grade for conduct and performance with testimonial
• Best Soldier of the Month (December 2016)
• SAF Family Concert 2016 Invitation In-Charge: Implemented a ticketing system with barcode scanning capability using Excel VBA
• HQ 2 PDF National Education Tour 2016 Organizer: Liaised with tour agencies and caterers